Tuesday 30 November 2010

Pitches and my chosen pitch

For my video, I have developed two ideas for my video, but have already decided against one, which I will explain first. This would include a typical “Lads night out,” including many close up shots of drinking (if I had the correct equipment I would have had the whole video filmed with the “Lads” having fixed cameras called Snorricam's to keep them central of each shot in ether a close up, or medium-close up, similar to the Radiohead video “Jigsaw Falling Into Place”)
(A Snorricam)


(Radiohead's Jigsaw Falling Into Place)

This would gain pace through the chorus’ and reach its climax in the final verse, where there would be a fight (“Dirty nights. Indulgent fights”(Goodwin 2)) most likely in slow motion between other drunks. By the time the chorus kicks in, the Lad’s have made their escape and are drunkenly running away. Although this is more accurate to the lyrics, I have decided not to film this, as it would be extremely difficult to film something such as this. The lack of light in clubs and bars would require us to bring additional lighting, as well as difficulties of staging a fight in a street at night without attracting the attention of police and other club-goers. If this was a professional recording I could be able to work around this, but for an A-level piece I need something much more simple.

That is the reason why I have settled on my other idea. Here, the focus would be of a group of teenagers (who may or may not represent the band) who hang around the streets with a lack of anything to do. They would most likely kick a football around, drink stolen alcohol and generally mess about. During slow sections I would use many over the shoulder shots that would be angled so as to show part of their face, as well as another person, or objects, such as the sun. If I had the capabilities I would change the focus mid shot between the two people, specifically in the pre-chorus to the second chorus, as if to look like there was a secret plan that is unspoken between them. This suspiciousness is brought to a climax in the second chorus when they steal something from the shop they are stud outside, and run throughout the chorus. Then during the slow section they could be gaining their breath back, but it should also seem reflective of the freedom of their youth. Then there would be a brief piece of action, a friendly push or kick, which would be in time with the gain of pace in the final chorus and outro. This would be filmed most likely in black and white, or another effect, to create a romantic and idealistic feel.

I have chosen this last pitch, as it is simpler for me to create on my budget and with my connections. It still is appropriate with the lyrics, as it is still teenagers who “seize the day” in their own way, and is in keeping with the rebellion of the final verse. I have decided on the narrative video not to include performance the band, as they are not always used in music videos, but the teenagers may sing the lyrics in close ups. It fits with the genre and the target audience, because a large part of the target audience of such bands are in the late teenage years, so would to some degree, associate with the teenagers in the video. The romantic effects may also allow those older than this age to reminisce on times of teenage rebellion, and still associate with the video.

I have taken note of Goodwin’s theory, as I have tried to fit the video with genre stereotypes and characteristics. I have used lyrics to inspire themes explored in my video, in particular “seize the day, today.” I have acknowledged the music, by including lip-synching. However, I am deliberately not including the faces of the band, as this could potentially become a motif among many of the band’s video’s, preferring more narrative focused videos. There is a sense of looking, in the concept of watching the antics of a group of teenagers, but on their level, as if the viewer was part of the group, and this was looking back romantically at these days. However, there are very little intertextual references planned as of yet, as I cannot think of how to include them fittingly, but there may be when it come to filming

No comments:

Post a Comment